Slow Cooker Apple Butter
I felt like making apple butter because I had never made it before and I felt like giving a good friend a homemade gift, so apple butter it was. Also, my local grocery store had a sale on apples so this was perfect timing. This is pretty sweet but feel free to adjust the seasonings to your liking. I taste tested often and the house smells wonderful while it is cooking!
For 4 Person(s)
- 3 1/2 Pounds Apples Peeled, cored and finely chopped
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
- 2 Teaspoons Ground Cinnamon
- 1/8 Teaspoon Ground Cloves
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla
- 1/8 Teaspoon Salt
- Pinch Nutmeg
Slow Cooker Apple Butter Directions
- In the slow cooker combine all ingredients. Stir to combine well.
- Set slow cooker to low and cook for about 10 hours. The mixture should be thick and brown. I checked, stirred and tasted about every 3 hours. If you feel it is done but still too watery, keep cooking with the lid a bit ajar so that the steam escapes and it can cook down to your desired thickness.
- When done, use an immersion blender in the slow cooker to puree the apple butter until it is smooth.
I used Fuji apples. The best apples for making apple butter are Gala, Red Delicious, Fuji or McIntosh. Also, I made this a second time and only used All Spice and Vanilla. I added a little extra nutmeg (extra from what is already in the All Spice).